Welcome!

Welcome to the Stony Brook Baseball Video and Photo Blog Page!

Monday, February 7, 2011

Player Profile: Kevin Courtney

Player Profile of the Day:

Kevin Courtney #34

Bio: Kevin is a 6'1" 195lb freshman 1B/Pitcher from Lindenhurst, NY. He went to St.John the Baptist H.S. and is currently studying Arts & Sciences classes here at Stony Brook. Courtney played 3 years at the varsity level while in high school. He was a two-time captain and was named the Long Island Catholic League MVP in 2009. In 2010 he led his team as a two way player to the regular season championship. He had a 6-1 record and a 1.14 ERA on the hill while hitting .515 at the dish. In 2008 he went 10-0 and won the clinching game of the Championship that year.
**Kevin is a solid two-way player who will be in the mix at first base as well as on the mound. Being a left handed pitcher he will see a role out of the bullpen while also mixing time at first base with sophomore Willie Carmona. As a freshman he looks back to his high school experience in championships and also his play this fall to make a smooth transition to the D1 college level. Check back weekly to see how Kevin transitions himself to the college game and the impact he has leading to a championship and on.


Looking to bounce back from injury, Kevin will play a big role this season as a two-way player:

Looking back at the 2010 season what can you say defined your year personally as well as a team?
  "Personally my senior year of high school wasn't what I had hoped for. It was a rough year as far as injuries as I dislocated my shoulder and the first game coming back I broke my wrist. But looking at the 2010 Stony Brook season, what a great season it was. Just hearing and seeing how good the team was doing just made me more and more excited about joining the team in 2011. Seeing them winning the 2010 America East Championship was a great task to accomplish."

What did you do this off season to help better yourself for the coming year?
  "This offseason I worked a lot on my hitting and fielding. Coming off my injuries, I had a lot of work to be done especially if I wanted to compete on the Division I level. "

Who do you try to emulate with your game?and why?
 
"I try to emulate my game as a first baseman with Albert Pujols. Just the way he shows tremendous leadership on a baseball field and the way he goes about his work, hitting and fielding, no matter what theres always things to work on to make yourself better. On the mound I emulate my game with Mariano Rivera. No matter what situation he is put in, he always finds a way to succeed because of one pitch and confidence. Every MLB hitter knows his cutter is coming and they still cant hit it. "

Do you have any rituals or superstitions?
  "I really dont have any crazy rituals or superstitions. Every morning of the day I pitch I usually eat pancakes and before every game I listen to my ipod."

If you had to advise a younger player or teammate looking to play at a higher level, what would be the most important thing you would tell them?
  "The most important thing I would tell a younger player or teammate looking to play at a higher level is to always have confidence in yourself. If you get knocked down, get up and try it again. Baseball is a hard game to play, just have fun and always give it your all."

What are your goals for this coming season?
  "My goal for this season as a team is to make it to a regional and beyond that. We have the team to do it and if we get rolling I think it will b very hard to stop us. Personally, i just want to help contribute to the team as much as I can to take us to where we need to be."

What did you take from 2010 do you think will help achieve these goals in 2011?
  "What i took from the 2010 season that will help me achieve my goals for the 2011 season is to just stay healthy and have fun playing the great game of baseball."

What type of non physical prep do you do to get yourself prepared for playing?
  "I like to listen to my ipod as loud as it can possibly go and just stay relaxed and get into the mental mindset that I need to have to have a good game."

When your not playing or training what do you do to get away if you have to? 
  "I like to hangout with my family and friends and when I have a lot of time I like to ski and play football and basketball. " 


Check back again for more player profiles, Alumni Spotlights and More!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment