Welcome!

Welcome to the Stony Brook Baseball Video and Photo Blog Page!

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Player Profile: Jasvir Rakkar

Player Profile of the Day:

Jasvir Rakkar #27



Bio: Jasvir is a 6'2" 200lb SO RHP from Brampton, Ontario. He attended Bramalea Secondary School and here at Stony Brook he studies Business Management. In high school he excelled on and off the field playing 4 years of varsity baseball and was a two time captain. He was a member of the 2008 Ontario youth team and was a member of the honor society. 
**His freshman year he made 11 relief appearances and one start throwing 15 innings among those appearances. In his first career appearance he threw .2 scoreless innings of relief against Akron. Against Iona he made his first start striking out a season-high three hitters. His top performance came against LeMoyne, throwing 4 scoreless innings allowing only 2 hits.
**This fall Jasvir made marked improvements and looks to continue working in order to be a contributor for this coming 2011 season. He looks to play a big role out of the pen and possibly as a starter. Look for him to have an improved season and play an even bigger role this year en route to defending the championship and making our way through the NCAA tournament. 
Jaz throwing @ Le Moyne
Pitching @ Bakersfield

Jasvir has the tools to be a big contributor this season and experiences from last year will really aid in his performance this year:

Looking back at the 2010 season what can you say defined your year personally as well as a team?
  "Last year for me was mainly a great learning experience. I was fortunate to be led and taught by great upper classmen and coaches. It also gave me a taste of what is to be an America East Champion. As for the team I believe our hardwork, determination and desire for success defined 2010 for us."

What did you do this off season to help better yourself for the coming year?
  "This off-season I focused more on simplifying my game mentally as well as lift, run and repeat mechanics to increase my chances of seeing success on the mound."

Who do you try to emulate with your game?and why?
  "Who do I try to emulate with my game.....that's a tough one seeing as there are many great pitchers throughout the majors who have each influenced me in their own way. I would have to say, growing up in Toronto, I have always looked up to Doc Halladay. I think his poise, toughness and conisistency are each aspects I try everyday to learn and/or get better at. I like the way he goes about his business day in and day out."

Do you have any rituals or superstitions?
  "I try to think that I don't have rituals or superstitions however I find myself never stepping on a baseline. Sometimes if the team is on a streak or if I am doing well I will make sure I wear the same (washed) socks for each game."

If you had to advise a younger player or teammate looking to play at a higher level, what would be the most important thing you would tell them?
  "The most important thing I would say to a younger player or teammate would be to never let someone tell you that you can't. You can't quit if you never tried. Keep working hard and success will follow. Also always always always play hard because you never know who is watching."

What are your goals for this coming season?
  "My personal goals for this season are to be consistent, relentless and confident on the mound. No matter what happens keep the same mindset in the game and finally slow the game down to one pitch at a time. However these are my smaller goals. My biggest and most important goal is to win another champion because at the end of the day everyone's goals should lead upto team success."

What did you take from 2010 do you think will help achieve these goals in 2011?
  "I guess my experience on the mound from last year will help me achieve my goals set fot his upcoming season. Also, all the work I put in this off season as well as last season has helped me prepare to acheive my goals."

What type of non physical prep do you do to get yourself prepared for playing?
  "Non physical prep that I do to prepare myself for playing mainly consist of visualization. I believe if you visualize what you want to do it makes it easier to do it at the end of the day because you feel as though you have already done once."

When your not playing or training what do you do to get away if you have to? 
  "Although baseball may seem to be my life, I enjoy spending time with my family and friends. Being with those close to me helps me relax and have fun."

Pregame at San Diego State
 Check Back for more posts to come and of course new content. Follow us and Share!!

No comments:

Post a Comment