Welcome!

Welcome to the Stony Brook Baseball Video and Photo Blog Page!

Monday, January 31, 2011

Player Profile: Anthony Luciano

Player Profile of the day:



Anthony Luciano #11




BIO: Luciano is a 5'-10" 185lb RS JR pitcher from Holtsville, NY. He attended Sachem East High School and is on pace to graduate this spring with a History/Computer Science degree. While at Sachem East HS, Luciano played two years of varsity ball, earning himself 2007 All-League honors as a captain his senior year.
**In Anthony's first season at Stony Brook in 2010, he made 17 appearances, all in relief. In his first career outing for the Seawolves, he tossed a scoreless inning with two strike outs against Akron. He earned his first career win at Stony Brook against Fairfield where he threw a scoreless inning. One of his most impressive outings came in a vital game against Maine where he came in relief to throw 1.2 innings, closing the door to seal off game one of the conference tournament, eventually leading to a championship. He then threw 1.1 innings against Coastal Carolina in the Myrtle Beach Regional.
**Entering the 2011 season, Anthony will most likely work out of the pen, although vying for a spot in the starting rotation will also be in the picture. His work ethic and drive to become a better pitcher and competetor has allowed him to develop more pitches and be in great condition entering non-conference play. He continues to improve every time he throws in the off-season and hopes it will continue into February and through June. He has the potential to have a special year for the Seawolves and his success on the mound will impact the team the whole season.





Lucky holding the 2010 America East
Championship trophy


Pitching at the Myrtle Beach Regional



Looking to be an important piece to the 2011 pitching staff, Anthony gives his thoughts entering the season:

Looking back at the 2010 season what can you say defined your year personally as well as a team?
"As a team we had a solid year, we had a never die type attitude and that really helped us to a historic year. The season was marked with a championship and the first regional win in school history which was huge. Personally the season for me was a tough one but I got the opportunity to better myself as the season went on and it was exciting to be a part of a winning year."

What did you do this off season to help better yourself for the coming year?

"This off season I did A lot of strength and conditioning work in order to be increase my stamina for the coming season. Unlike a lot of pitchers I did not shut my arm down because I felt it needed to keep working. I did a daily long toss to increase arm strength and bullpen work to work on specific pitches, movement and control. I also did some mental side of the game by reading books and articles to better myself that way."

Who do you try to emulate with your game?and why?

"Professionally I try to emulate Derek Jeter because he is a hard worker and leads by example on and off the field. Pitching wise I strive to be like Mariano Rivera because of how he composes himself on the mound and his love for the game of baseball"

Do you have any rituals or superstitions?

"I dont have any real superstitions I just try to be relaxed before the game. I listen to music and warm up the same way every day in order to be prepared. "

If you had to advise a younger player or teammate looking to play at a higher level, what would be the most important thing you would tell them?
"I would tell a younger player to never take anything for granted. Nothing is promised to you so always go hard because you never know what could happen on any given day or who is watching."

What are your goals for this coming season?
"My goal for 2011 is to win another championship, win a regional and beyond. Personally I want to improve in every aspect, be a positive influence and bigger role in the winning. If we get to that point any personal goals that I have for the season and after will follow."

What did you take from 2010 do you think will help achieve these goals in 2011?

"2010 for me was up and down but I learned to deal with failures and worked hard to improve my game in many aspects. As a team we learned to be more consistent and get up for every game. If we improve on last season in minor things I feel big things will follow in 2011."

What type of non physical prep do you do to get yourself prepared for playing?

"I like to read books and articles on pitching and the mental side of the game. I do A lot of video break down and try to pick up on little things. Most importantly I pay attention to the game and hitters while I'm not playing in order to be better prepared for when my name gets called. "

When your not playing or training what do you do to get away if you have to?

"I never feel the need to get away from baseball but when I'm not playing and training I tend to play video games, watch movies and just relax."

Anthony talking to Joe Nathan

Check back soon for more player profiles and some pre-season fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment