Welcome!

Welcome to the Stony Brook Baseball Video and Photo Blog Page!

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Player Profile: James Campbell

Player Profile of the Day:

                                                 James Campbell #15
 

Bio: Campbell is a 6'1" 195lb SO Pitcher from Bridgeport, Conn. He went to St.Joseph H.S. and is majoring in Business here at Stony Brook. James played 2 years of Varsity while in high school and was named a captain as a senior. Named a 2009 All-FCIAC and was an All-District selection, going 7-2 with a 2.04 ERA as a senior and went 4-1 as a junior.
**As a freshman at Stony Brook he made 12 appearances including 6 starts on the hill. He had 18 K's in 31.2 innings. Made his first career appearance against UNC-Wilmington pitching a scoreless inning, in his first start he allowed no runs and one hit over 4 innings against Seton Hall and picked up his first career victory throwing 6 innings against Hartford. Pitched in  2/3 of an inning in the Myrtle Beach Regional against host Coastal Carolina.
**Entering into the 2011 season James eyes a spot in the Starting rotation. During the fall he showed much poise on the mound and put in some solid innings, establishing himself as a presence on the field. As the season progresses look out for Campbell to play a significant role in route to another championship and beyond.

Campbell Pitching at Home

Pitching in Alabama

Looking to play a bigger role in his Sophomore year, James eyes another Championship and beyond:

Looking back at the 2010 season what can you say defined your year personally as well as a team?
  "Personally I thought having the opportunity too pitch against top division 1 programs such as Alabama and Coastal Carolina as a freshman defined my year. It was a great experience and overall will help me coming into this 2011 season. I think what defined us as a team was how we won our America East Tournament as a 3 seed and went on to the NCAA Regional where we won for the first time at the D1 level."

What did you do this off season to help better yourself for the coming year?
  "Building arm strength, staying healthy and well conditioned was very important for me this off-season especially because I missed my freshman fall and most of the winter with an arm injury. Since I was healthy I was able to throw and took my pitches to the next level with the help of my pitching coaches."

Who do you try to emulate with your game?and why?
  "I try to emulate Mariano Rivera, although he’s a closer and I’m not, he goes out there with great composure and dominates with one pitch. He’s very confident on the mound and gets the job done."

Do you have any rituals or superstitions?
  "When I get the ball back from my third baseman in warm-ups I always step to the back of the mound, take off my hat and look over the right field fence and clear my mind before stepping up on the hill."

If you had to advise a younger player or teammate looking to play at a higher level, what would be the most important thing you would tell them?
  "That nothing is going to come easy, if you want to make it to the next level your going to have to work at it."

What are your goals for this coming season?
  "Personally I want to be in the starting rotation, put in significant innings and help contribute to our team’s success. As a team standpoint I think we all have our eyes on making it back to the regional and advancing further than last year."

What did you take from 2010 do you think will help achieve these goals in 2011?
  "Having the opportunity to come in against some of the top teams in the country and having success but also failure that I can learn from."

What type of non physical prep do you do to get yourself prepared for playing?
   "I like to have my mind cleared and focused on what I have to do on the mound. Being mentally prepared for me has a lot to do with my success."

When your not playing or training what do you do to get away if you have to? 
  "When I'm not playing I like to go for a hike whether it’s by myself or with some friends, being in the outdoors away from everything helps me clear my mind." 


Check Back Daily for more Posts and Player Profiles. Follow and Share!!

No comments:

Post a Comment