Welcome!

Welcome to the Stony Brook Baseball Video and Photo Blog Page!

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Player Profile: Keith Murakami

Player Profile of the Day:

                                                Keith Murakami #51

Bio: Murakami is a 6'1" 195lb JR Catcher from Monterey Park, California. He attended Bishop Amat H.S., Compton Community College for 2 years and is now a Political Science Major here at Stony Brook. In high school Keith played 4 years on varsity and was named All-League and All-San Gabriel Valley senior year. While at Compton Community College he hit .340 with 5 HR, 35 RBI as a freshman. As a Sophomore he hit .315 with 1 HR and 33 RBI. He made All-Conference in both years and Helped lead Compton College to two of its best seasons in program history and also helped lead Compton College to its first ever state playoff appearance in 2010. Played for the Academy Barons in the California Collegiate League freshman and sophomore summers. 
**Keith is coming in to his first season here at Stony Brook after transferring from Compton Community College. He is a left hand hitting catcher and can play some 1B as well. Right now he looks to be the backup for our regular catcher Pat Cantwell, but will play a huge role in getting us to our ultimate goal which is a Championship, winning a Regional and beyond. Look for Keith as the season progresses to learn more about how he preforms and what role he will play. 

Keith as a Part of Champion Team Lez Go 2010 In it to win it WS
Keith at Bat

Although he may be a rookie here at Stony Brook, Keith is no stranger to playing College Baseball. Hear what he thinks about the coming season:


Looking back at the 2010 season what can you say defined your year personally as well as a team?
 
"In the 2010 season i played for Compton Community College and overall we had a successful season. We made it to the State Playoffs where we lost to the #1 team in the state. This was the first time Compton College ever made it to the playoffs. We came together in the middle of the season and finished the season winning our last 18 out of 20 games. Personally i did pretty well both on and off the field. I made the All Conference team and finished the semester with a 4.0 gpa."

What did you do this off season to help better yourself for the coming year?
  "This off season I worked on getting stronger and also worked on my defense. These were two parts of my game that i needed to work on in order to become a better player and more importantly, to contribute to the team. I went to the gym and i was fortunate enough to workout with Stony Brook Alumni Tom Koehler. I did all of his workouts which were really tough but i liked it a lot. I also got to learn many things from Tom such as calling pitches, look for tendencies, and I was also able to catch his bullpens."

Who do you try to emulate with your game?and why?

  "Of course i would like to have my individuality but when it comes to catching, i like to be like Kurt Suzuki, he is currently the Oakland A's catcher. When it comes to hitting, i like to look at Joe Mauer. He would have to be my favorite hitter."

Do you have any rituals or superstitions?

   "I do tend to be superstitious. Whenever i am on a hot streak, i tend to try to do the same exact routine and when I am slumping, i always change my routine. For example last year I was hitting extremely well, during this time i ate the same meal right before every game and even at the same time."

If you had to advise a younger player or teammate looking to play at a higher level, what would be the most important thing you would tell them?

  "I would have to tell any person to always give everything you have when you are out on the field. Do everything with the most effort because you never know who is watching in the stands. There can be professional scouts and also college scouts. I learned this the hard way in that one of my games last year at Compton College, I didnt run out a ball I hit and later found out that the Colorado Rockies scout was there to watch me and right after that he crossed my name off his list and left the game. So remember to always work hard because effort is something you can control in baseball. "

What are your goals for this coming season?

   "My main goal for this season is probably the same goal as almost everyone on the team which is to win a conference championship. I also want us to win a regional this year. As for a personal goal, i would just like to contribute to the team as much as possible to help win a championship. I had some regrets while i was at Compton College and i want to finish my upcoming season knowing that i worked my absolute hardest and put all the effort i could into this season."

What did you take from 2010 do you think will help achieve these goals in 2011?

  "In 2010 Compton College worked together and worked very hard to make it to playoffs while Stony Brook did the same but won a conference championship and made it to regionals. I felt since i made the move to Division 1 baseball that i needed to work twice as hard as i did while i was at Compton College. I worked harder on every aspect of my game because i knew playing for Stony Brook would be playing on a whole new level. I felt that I have improved from this hard work and am ready to help Stony Brook win another conference championship and also to win a regional."

What type of non physical prep do you do to get yourself prepared for playing?

  "When it comes to non physical prep, like many people on the team, i like to read over the scouting reports on both the pitchers and the hitters. Since i am a catcher I need to know about both the pitchers and hitters so I know the tendencies of each person on the team. Other than that, I will just listen to music and just relax until i have to start warming up. "

When your not playing or training what do you do to get away if you have to?

  "When i am not playing or training, my main hobby is to go fishing. A lot of the guys on the team know that I love to go fishing and i talk about it a lot. When summer baseball is over, me and my father will be going on a 4 day fishing trip to Mexico. Other than fishing i like to spend time with my family and friends back in sunny California."







Check Back Every Day for new updates and Player Profiles. Follow and Share!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment