Welcome!

Welcome to the Stony Brook Baseball Video and Photo Blog Page!

Sunday, January 23, 2011

Player Profile: Tanner Nivins

Player Profile of the Day:

 Tanner Nivins # 24
 

Bio: Nivins is a 5'10" 190lb SO OF from Kitchener, Ontario. One of four international players we currently have, he attended St.Mary's H.S. and here at Stony Brook he is currently studying Social Sciences. In H.S. he played four years of Varsity baseball and was named 2005 Ontario Junior Player of the Year. He was a multi sport athlete playing football, which he was a four time MVP, and he was also a three time MVP in track and field as well as in Hockey. Played baseball for the Canadian junior national team as well as for an Ontario team that won a gold medal in which he was named offensive player of the tournament.
** In his freshman year here at Stony Brook he played in 56 games of which he started 50 in Center Field. He hit .298 on the season with a tie for second on the team in HR, with 9, and RBI with 48. In his first career collegiate game he hit a line drive home run to dead center against Akron. He played his best in key times, having a great series against Alabama going 6-12 with 6 RBI. He also had 2 hits and 3 RBI against San Diego State. During the biggest time of the season in the Myrtle Beach Regional he hit .313 with 3 RBI which helped bring the first ever win in a regional to SBU. The stellar freshman year earned Tanner two time rookie of the week in the America East as well as being named to the America East All-Rookie Team.


Tanner Celebrating a Championship
Making a great catch


Having a Stellar Freshman Year Tanner looks to build off of it and enter 2011 more prepared than ever:


Looking back at the 2010 season what can you say defined your year personally as well as a team? "Looking back on 2010 really strikes a lot of great memories. Being my first year playing college baseball, I came in not knowing what to expect. However, I got a great opportunity to play everyday, and I quickly learned the expectations of this ball club. There are players on this club that play the game the right way, and they were great people to model my game after. As most teams, we had our share of ups and downs. But in the end, we learned from the downs as well as the ups, and it translated into a championship."

What did you do this off season to help better yourself for the coming year?
  "For me, coming off an injury in the fall this off season was a crucial time period. I looked at it in a way that not only do I have to get myself ready to play, but I have to catch up to everyone who was playing all fall. I focused on getting as strong as possible, while maintaining my speed and flexibility. I have no days to waste, every single day I'm whipping myself into the best possible shape I can be. Aside from the weight room, I have also been throwing and hitting routinely. But that wasn't my main focus, as I know February we will be focusing on that every day."

Who do you try to emulate with your game?and why?

  "I get asked this question a lot, and every time I struggle with an answer. Of course I look up to the big name outfielders like Vernon Wells, and players alike, however I don't emulate my game after them. If anyone, it's all the guys in the minor league system grinding themselves to the ground just doing everything possible to make it to the bigs. Guys that aren't oozing athleticism or all five tools, but guys who pride themselves on giving absolutely everything they have on and off the field. Being a smaller guy who is clearly missing a couple tools, I know that I have to know how to take full use of the tools I do have."

Do you have any rituals or superstitions?

   "I've never been big into superstition. My worst enemy 90% of the time is myself. I get too into my head sometimes, and it causes me to think way too much. So focusing on superstitions is just another thing added to my already cluttered mind, so I tend to stay away from it. If I do have certain rituals, it's all in my muscle memory, and I'm totally unaware of it."

If you had to advise a younger player or teammate looking to play at a higher level, what would be the most important thing you would tell them?

   "Don't get complacent. The game of baseball doesn't stop itself, so you have no time to get lazy. If you're a guy who just loves the game and doesn't really care about results, then just have fun but don't let it get in the way of your teammates, and coaches dreams. Give it all, every day."

What are your goals for this coming season?

  "My goals for this upcoming season is to win another ring, and make it as far in a regional as possible. You can't focus too hard on personal success, because in the end all the personal accolades don't mean anything if we don't have a ring to celebrate with."

What did you take from 2010 do you think will help achieve these goals in 2011?

  "Now having one year under me, I know what to expect. I've learned from last season, and I expect big time results. I've learned to control things like my frustration, and I now know how to learn from my failure and translate it into success. I also know by looking at the guys on our team that hard work truly does pay off. All I can do is take my numbers and add on! Not so it looks good in the books, but to help the team win our one common goal; a championship."

What type of non physical prep do you do to get yourself prepared for playing?

  "I like to review scouting reports and talk baseball with the coaches and players. I'll study pitchers scouting reports so I am not surprised by anything that they throw at me. I like to relax myself, and always have a plan to success."

When your not playing or training what do you do to get away if you have to? 

  "I think getting away from the game is very key. You can't think, eat, and sleep baseball all the time. I like to hangout with family, friends, and catch up on some T.V. shows. Take some time to appreciate everything else besides the game. Because in the end; that's all that matters."

End of video below shows Tanner this summer Hitting a go ahead homer for his team.




New Players Featured Daily. Check Back Often, Follow and Share!!

2 comments:

  1. this guy is a sex panther!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think he is a very focus young man with great goals. We wish him well in Canada.

    ReplyDelete