Welcome!

Welcome to the Stony Brook Baseball Video and Photo Blog Page!

Friday, February 4, 2011

Player Profile:Josh Barry

Player Profile of the Day:

Josh Barry #19

Bio: Josh is a 5'10" 170lb FR pitcher from Seaford, NY. He attended MacArthur H.S. and at Stony Brook he currently is taking Arts & Sciences. At MacArthur he played 3 years of varsity baseball. As a senior he was named All-County, All-Long Island and third team All-State. He also earned the 2010 Diamond Award given to the leagues best pitcher. He went 7-1 with a 0.89 ERA in 67.2 innings while striking out 79 and only allowing 25 hits.
**Barry is a solid left hand arm that will be working towards a spot this coming season. He pitched well this fall and will be a good addition to our bullpen for the coming spring 2011 season. As a freshman he will rely on his experience pitching in competitive summer leagues and games this fall to transition quickly into the college game. Check back each week to see what role JB plays throughout the season.

Pitching in High School
Josh(right) In it to win it 2010


Coming off a great year in High School Josh hopes to translate that into success at the college level:

Looking back at the 2010 season what can you say defined your year personally as well as a team?
  "Last year in my senior year we were a close knit group of guys who had grown up playing baseball together who basically always dreamed of winning a championship together. We were solely a senior lineup and not one person wanted it more than the other, we all had the same gut feeling of winning a championship together. Personally I had my best year in my high school career. I won the Diamond Award which goes to the best pitcher in my section, but when it came down to it, the team effort was ultimately the most important."

What did you do this off season to help better yourself for the coming year?
  "This past summer was a busy one. I traveled with the Long Island Titans to maintain a high level of baseball and keep my arm healthy as we played some of the more competitive teams in the Northeast. I also participated in a 5-game exhibition series against the 18-U National Team playing with Team NY. I started the second game in the series at St. Johns university. Transitioning to the fall in my first year at Stony Brook, I maintained a good work ethic by lifting and practicing with the team as well as many individual practices and conditioning days."

Who do you try to emulate with your game?and why?

  "Although he's not a pitcher, and better yet not even left handed, I try to emulate my game to that of Pete Rose. I feel like any player looking to make the best of their game in any sport can look up to Rose, he gave his all in every game, every play, and every second."

Do you have any rituals or superstitions?

  "I don't really have any rituals or superstitions. One thing I tend to do after each inning is over when I'm coming off the mound is to take my hat off right away. I dont consider it much of a supersition or ritual but it's the closest thing I have to it."

If you had to advise a younger player or teammate looking to play at a higher level, what would be the most important thing you would tell them?

  "Hard work pays off. If you have your mindset to play at a level you want, there's no one who could tell you otherwise. If you work hard everyday in every aspect of achieving a goal of playing a high level of baseball; such as in the classroom, in the weight room, throwing, hitting etc.. and if you stick to a strict hardworking goal then good results will come."

What are your goals for this coming season?

  "When I look at goals for a season I focus more on a team aspect. I know everyone likes to boost stats and be an individual performer, but some things I looked forward to when signing with Stony Brook was to experience 4 years of championships. I hope that all 4 years we improve and be part of the first Stony Brook team to win a regional and possibly even further."

What did you take from 2010 do you think will help achieve these goals in 2011?

  "From my high school season to this coming season at Stony Brook, one thing I can transition is to value each game. Each inning, each batter and each second is valuable because at any time and any second something can change. I am a big advocate now from my experiences last season on taking things slow and valuing each game as if it's going to be your last, because you never know when it will be."

What type of non physical prep do you do to get yourself prepared for playing?

  "I'm a very cool, calm, and collected person and thats the sort of way I play my game. I love music and I love excitment but I never felt psyching myself out for a game would help me play better. The work I put in the past weeks leading to a game or a season was going to help me. I like to make sure I'm 100% before each game and that I'm prepared for any situation."

When your not playing or training what do you do to get away if you have to?
  "I love the beach. Having it only 10-15 minutes from my house I tend to value that and use it as an opportunity to get away and just relax and enjoy myself. I also love movies and a great movie on and just relaxing can beat almost anything." 

Check back daily for new posts and Player Profiles. Follow and Share it up!!

No comments:

Post a Comment