Welcome!

Welcome to the Stony Brook Baseball Video and Photo Blog Page!

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Player Profile: Thor Miller

Player Profile of the Day:

Kyle "Thor" Miller #16

Bio: Thor is 6'0" 185lb SO LHP from Miller Place, NY. He attended Miller Place H.S. and now studies Arts & Sciences here at Stony Brook. He played 2 years of varsity baseball at Miller Place and was a captain as a senior. Was named 2009 All-State, all-league, all-county and league V Pitcher of the Year. He was also named to the Suffolk County All-Star team having a stellar year. As a senior he had a 1.10 ERA striking out 95 batters in 73 innings and hit .485 with 4 HR. His junior year he was named team MVP and League V pitcher of the year as well as all-league and all-county, posting a minuscule 0.83 ERA with 55 strike outs in 53 innings.
**Freshman year Thor made 9 relief appearances and 1 start throwing 11.1 innings. He made his first career appearance against UNC-Wilmington and tossed a season high 3.1 innings against Iona. His first and only start came against San Diego State during a west coast spring break trip.
**Thor has great stuff from the left side and aims to play a big role in 2011. He will most likely be a big contributor out of the bull pen and looks to improve on last year. Check in often as Thor will likely play a part in many wins this coming year. 
Bullpen @ Alabama

Pitching @ San Diego State
Thor aims to improve on last year and play a large role in winning that second consecutive ring and beyond:

Looking back at the 2010 season what can you say defined your year personally as well as a team?
  "I've put almost a mental title on my freshman year; a learning period. I cant think of an instance or game where my season was defined. It was the adaption to the college level which could define my year but, there is not light switch that turns on when it comes to that. As a team however, I can remember the week going into the conference tournament played a huge role in our chemistry, confidence and a finalization of our identity. Everyone was completely comfortable with the team, the program, and everyone knew we were going to get that ring; it was just a matter of days."

What did you do this off season to help better yourself for the coming year?
  "I made up a basic plan with a simple goal before the off-season. That was to be the best player i could be by time season rolls along for the team. I was going to go about it this time though by just doing what my body told me to do. I concentrated on leg strength, going along with tons of core work. And I ran; I ran alot. If I felt good; I might have run 6-8 or even 12 miles that day. And then later on, when I go in for bullpens, I felt like my arm could not have physically thrown better. No pain, completly loose, and tons of endurance. You have to take something away from that. Hmm, maybe this is what works best, this is what my body needs."

Do you have any rituals or superstitions?
  "I have tons or superstitions. I tuck my shoelaces in before each batter. I must sit in the exact same spot on the bench when I come in from the mound. Must take the same route in/out of the dugout. I have to spit an even amount of times (never 1x or 3x consecutively). When I'm on the bench, if we throw a first pitch strike I cant move any part of my body until the at bat is over ex. hand position. And by no means; whenever we have a lead, can anyone in my surrounding area move the spot on the bench/fence. If it looks like their pitcher is beginning to loose it, I must keep the conversation topic with whoever I am talking to until he is pulled."

If you had to advise a younger player or teammate looking to play at a higher level, what would be the most important thing you would tell them?
  "Obviously when it comes to being recruited coaches wanna see mainly two things; your baseball 'tools' and your work ethic. A coach can see from the first impression if a player is a hard worker. Its obvious but some kids dont take it in. A coach will never recruit a player who wont work; its impossible for him to get better. Something to keep in mid during any part of your baseball career though, is be open-minded, and respectful to anyone you meet who;s connected to the game; from parent to manager. You never know where you can get a connection that can get you to the next level. "

What did you take from 2010 do you think will help achieve these goals in 2011?
  "I can take my knowledge from last year with me for the rest of my life. But i really think that last year just gives me a burning ambition to be successful this year. Nothings more dangerous than a man with nothing to lose."

What type of non physical prep do you do to get yourself prepared for playing?
  "I've had trouble alot with mental preparation in the past. I would get completely amped up like i was going into an mma fight. So i found that I am only truly ready when I have a blank mental slate, nothing on my mind, no gameplans, no amplitude. Other than hydrating I dont like to think i doing preparation."

When your not playing or training what do you do to get away if you have to? 
  "I love working out and running, even if i didn't play i'd still be doing that; probably more so. Pretty normal stuff though; playing video games, hanging out with friends, good movies and music. One thing I do during the breaks is paintball."

Kyle during the Halloween Game

No comments:

Post a Comment